If you want a tight, toned tummy standing ab exercises are perfect for you!
Standing ab exercises are my go-to core exercises for beginners and advanced exercisers alike because they help you get results a LOT faster than traditional crunches.
Standing ab exercises are must-do exercises if:
- You want defined abs, core strength, to burn fat at the same time
- You don’t like crunches
- You have neck or back pain
- You don’t want to workout on the stank floor (gym floors are SO germy gf)
The standing ab exercises I’m sharing will take you from this…
To this : )
Because feeling insecure about your midsection sucks. But don’t worry… standing ab exercises can get you feeling fab instead of fab asap compared to crunches.
As I discussed in this post about the benefits of planks, crunches can strain the spine.
That’s why my go-to exercises to target the core are planks and standing movements.
I’ve already shared my favorite plank exercises with you, so today I’m sharing 6 standing ab exercises for flat, toned abs, core strength, and maximum calorie burn.
See me explain more and demo the standing ab exercises for you in today’s episode of CCtv.
These standing ab exercises use multidirectional movements and target more muscles.
Because you’re working more muscles, you burn more calories and fat, which means faster results compared to those you get from traditional crunches.
Plus, standing movements don’t use your head as a counterweight (like crunches do). That means you’ll feel less strain on your neck and back as you move.
These exercises great for your neck and back and also help strengthen the core which supports that back and helps reduce back pain, too.
Standing Ab Exercises
Pin these ab exercises to Pinterest so you’ll have them forever
Standing Ab Workout
- Add 2 of these exercises onto any of my other program or blog workouts to boost calorie burn and target your abs more.
- To do all 6 exercises in a standing ab workout, first warm up with some light cardio for 5 – 10 minutes, followed by some core stretches. (Become a CC VIP and you’ll get a free stretch guide.)
- Do each exercise until you feel the burn. Once you ‘feel the burn’ do 5 more (on each side, if applicable) then stop. Max out at 25 reps.
- Once you finish one exercise move onto the next. Tip: Try not to take any breaks between exercises to increase heart rate and calorie burn.
- Finish one full round of all 6 exercises to complete 1 set. Do 4 full sets to complete this workout.
Ready to rock these exercises? When you’re done trying them please leave me a comment and let me know which one was your favorite.
Standing Ab Exercise Instructions
Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart. Using both hands, lift a dumbbell overhead. This is your start position. Slowly dip the weight to one side. Hold for a count then rock the weight back up and over to the opposite side to complete one rep. Slowing ‘tick and tock’ the weight back and forth like a pendulum, until you complete your set.
Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart, with a dumbbell in both of your hands. Lift one arm straight up overhead and keep the opposite arm down by your side. This is your start position. Lower your bottom hand down towards your foot, far as you can, keeping your other arm extended overhead. Reverse the movement and return to the start position to complete one rep. Repeat the same number of reps on the other side to complete your set.
Dumbbell Side Dips
Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, while holding dumbbells down by your sides. This is your start position. Lower the weight down to one side as far as you can. Exhale and squeeze your abs as you lift the weight back up to the start position to complete one rep. Repeat the movement on the same side for the prescribed number of reps. Repeat the same number of reps on the other side to complete your set. Tip: Protect your neck and look forward not down, while doing the movement.
Stand with your feet apart. While holding a weight with both hands, lift the weight up and across to one side. Your feet should pivot to help you extend the weight back and to the side. This is your start position. Pivot your feet as you rotate the weight down and across your body toward the opposite corner. Reverse the movement, lifting the weight back up and back across your body to the start position. One full ‘chopping’ movement counts as one rep. Do the same number of reps on the other side to complete your set.
Lunge down and extend your arms straight out while holding a weight. This is your start position. Twist your torso to one side. Then rotate your torso back past the start position to the opposite side. Twisting to both sides to complete one rep. Repeat the same number of reps while lunging with your other leg to complete your set.
Knee Tuck Extensions
Stand, with one arm extended overhead holding a weight and the foot of the same side out slightly. Put all of your weight on your planted foot. This is your start position. Simultaneously crunch your elbow down, while lifting your knee up to meet each other while balancing on your planted foot. Only your elbow and knee should move during this exercise. Return back to the start position to complete one rep. Complete the same number of reps on the opposite side to complete your set.
Standing Ab Exercise Notes:
- I don’t recommend using more than 10 pounds for these exercises, especially for the overhead pendulum, woodchop, and lunge twist exercises. (I used 8 pounds.)
- If you burn out before 25 reps, no problem! Do as many as you can until you burn out and work your way up to 25. : )
- Become a CC VIP to get instant access to my VIP resource library stocked with a free stretch guide you can use to warm up and cool down for this workout. You’ll also get other free resources that make it easier to get fit and healthy.
What exercise did you feel the most? Let me know in the comments.
Your Coach and Biggest Cheerleader
P.S. Don’t forget to Pin this workout to Pinterest so you’ll have it forever.
P.P.S. I’m looking for 25 women (and men) that want to get fit and healthy in time for the holidays.
If you’re over feeling fatigued and fluffy and you’re ready to strut your stuff confidently, this is the program for you.
Do you want to burn fat and feel freakin’ fantastic in 4 weeks flat? You can! Click here to learn more & Join the Total Transformation Challenge.
If you liked this post you’ll love these ab workouts, too
Christina is a certified Holistic Nutritionist, Personal Trainer, & Holistic Fitness & Health Coach. After healing multiple personal health issues, getting off 7 meds, & losing 40 pounds, Christina teaches others how to get Happy, Healthy, & Fit quickly with the most delicious food and least intense workouts.